Monday, September 15, 2014

Diablo III: Review



How about a game review for something that came out a little more recently? Next up, Diablo 3!

Diablo 3 is considered by some to be an Action/RPG (role playing game) and others, like myself, would call it a dungeon crawl. Diablo 3 is (obviously) the third in the series and was developed and published by Blizzard entertainment.



I have to admit I was skeptical at first, after playing World of Warcraft I lost all respect for Blizzard, but that is another story. Originally released on PC on May 15, 2012, it was later released on home consoles (XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3) September 3, 2013, and again for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on August 19, 2014.

Like any good RPG or dungeon crawl players get to choose one of five character classes, those classes are Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Monk, Witch Doctor or Wizard, and are tasked with defeating the Lord of Terror, Diablo. I myself chose the Witch Doctor, but have also played other classes a bit.



Side note - an expansion pack for Diablo 3 was released for the PC editions of the game titled Reaper of Souls on March 25, 2014. On August 19, 2014 it was released for consoles in the Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, which included the full original Diablo 3 and the Reaper of Souls expansion. My time playing the game was spent on the PlayStation 3 without the expansion.




The overall story was pretty good, but I imagine it would have been better if I had played the first two installments of the series. The graphics and sound were really well done, especially the cinematic sequences. The things I don't like about it are the fact that it was really made to encourage online gaming and it is just a beat and repeat game. Don't get me wrong I like online gaming, but I prefer playing with people I know, and I don't know anyone that owns this game on a PS3. The end of the game was disappointing, one of the worst end boss fights ever. Once you beat it the general idea is to play through it again on a harder difficulty setting to get better loot/gear. I'm all for it, IF I had a couple buddies to storm heaven and hell with.


 
 
Overall it really is a great game. It has angels, demons, zombies and other undead. How can you go wrong with that? Tons of loot and enemies and levels to be gained. My rating is a 7.5 out of 10!



- N64



No comments:

Post a Comment